The European Union is gradually reopening its external borders for a limited number of categories of travelers. As from July 8 the Consulate General of Belgium in Hong Kong and Macao will resume visa applications for a limited number of exempted categories. These are:
- EU citizens, citizens of States associated with the Schengen area and third country nationals who are lawfully resident in the EU, as well as their family members (within the meaning of Article 2.2) of the directive 2004/38, regardless of whether or not they return home. This therefore means that they can go to Belgian territory even if they do not have their permanent residence there and that family members who are nationals of third countries and subject to the visa requirement for a short stay in the Schengen area can apply for a visa and be issued it if the conditions are met. This exception category is only valid for short stays. Family reunification with a Belgian does not fall into this category.
- Third-country nationals who travel for the purpose of study.
- Highly qualified third-country nationals if their employment is necessary from an economic point of view and their work cannot be postponed or carried out abroad. For the latter category, only workers who have received a decision to grant the single permit (Annex 46) mentioning the code B29 can be issued a visa. When the decision to grant mentions the code B34, the issue of the visa is postponed until further notice. Exceptionally, a D visa for family reunification may be issued to the spouse and minor children of these workers if the conditions are met.
- Diplomats, personnel of international organizations, military personnel and humanitarian workers in the exercise of their functions.
- Seafarers, pilots and aircraft crews.
The Consulate General will remain open to the public during the normal opening hours.
Please note that in order to maintain a healthy and safe environment both to visitors and employees and in accordance with the recommendations of the local authorities, the Consulate General of Belgium requests you to observe the following rules:
- If you have a fever (37.5°C or more) or any signs and symptoms of the novel Coronavirus, DO NOT come to the Consulate General.
- Wear a protective face mask. Visitors who arrive without their own face mask will not be permitted to enter. Face masks will not be provided.
- Use alcohol disinfectant upon arrival and before touching fingerprint devices.
- Respect social distancing (1.5m).
- Visa applications: In order to minimise waiting times please prepare your file carefully in accordance with the list of required documents and in the same order.
Your kind understanding and cooperation are highly appreciated.