Consulate General of Belgium in Hong Kong

Visa Type C


The Consulate General of Belgium in Hong Kong handles Schengen visa applications to travel to Belgium and Luxemburg. 

The application for a Schengen Visa has to be lodged with the Schengen representation of the country of your main destination. For tourists visiting several countries, it is the country where most of your time is spent. If you spend equal time in several Schengen states you are required to apply for the visa at the representation of the country where you enter the Schengen area.

What is a Visa C / Schengen visa

A Schengen visa allows you to travel to all the Schengen countries.

If a visa application has been approved, the visa will be issued based on the documents you have submitted. If you wish to extend your stay or if you have postponed your trip, you need to submit a new application. Also see the Important Notice at the bottom.

Who should apply

Hong Kong and Macau passport holders are exempted from applying for this visa. They are allowed to stay in the Schengen zone for a maximum of 90 days, each period of 180 days. You can use a calculator to see how many days remain on your visa, please click here for the calculator.

The following rules apply to the different Hong Kong and Macau travel documents and PRC passports:

  • HKSAR passports, for a stay up to 90 days: no visa required
  • Macau SAR passports, for a stay up to 90 days: no visa required
  • British National Overseas passports (BNO), for a stay up to 90 days: no visa required
  • Hong Kong Documents of Identity for visa purposes (DI): Schengen visa is required
  • Macao Travel Permit: Schengen visa is required
  • People's Republic of China passport (PRC): Schengen visa is required

When should you apply

A visa C application can be submitted up to 3 months in advance, you should apply at least 3 weeks before your trip starts. It takes a minimum of 5 working days to issue a Visa C, in some cases 3 weeks or longer.

How to apply

All applicants need to come in person to the Consulate with the relevant checklist and all documents in the order of the checklist. Everyone age 6 and above needs to apply in person at the Consulate. Your fingerprints (as from 12 years of age) and facial image (as from 6 years of age) will be captured and stored in the VIS-database for 5 years. For more information on this Visa Information System, click here.

Required documents

Click on the relevant link to see the list of required documents. All applicants need to print this list, tick the boxes next each document included in the application file, and make sure the documents are in the same sequence as they appear on this list.

All applicants need to fill out the Schengen visa application form  - download it here

Click on the relevant link below to print the checklist of required documents: 

In some cases, applications of visa C require an original copy of a pledge of financial support called Annexe 3bis / Bijlage 3bis (available in Dutch or French) issued no more than 6 months ago. It has to be completed, signed by the guarantor and legalized by the municipality where the guarantor is residing in Belgium.

Medical certificate

Certain applications for a Visa C require a medical certificate - consult the checkilst to see whether this applies to you. This certificate has to be obtained from one of the doctors recognized by the Consulate General, and has to be dated less than six months before the date when you apply for your visa.

Download the medical certificate template for Visa applications here.

Click here for the list of medical doctors approved by the consulate.

CNCC (Certificate of No Criminal Conviction) / Certificate of Criminal Record

All applications for a Visa D require a Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (Hong Kong) or a Certificate of Criminal Record (Macau), covering the last year. 
The document will need an Apostille before it can be used in a visa application. 

You can find more information about the CNCC / Certificate fo Criminal Record here.

For information about the Apostille, click here.

MORE QUESTIONS? Check out the Visa FAQ


You have been issued an entry visa for the territory of the Schengen States (1).

It is important to note that this visa does not give you an absolute guarantee that you will be allowed to enter the territory of the Schengen States.

The authorities involved in border control will check in particular:

  • if you are in possession of a valid document authorising you to cross the border and if this document is accompanied by the requisite visa;
  • if you have not exceeded the maximum duration of authorised stay in the territory of the Schengen States, i.e. three months per six-month period (2);
  • your point of departure and your destination as well as the purpose of the stay and if necessary, the corresponding supporting documents.

Therefore, please keep the following documents to hand for each presentation at border crossing points:

  • your travel document bearing a valid visa;
  • the documentation justifying the purpose and conditions of your stay in the territory of the Schengen States (letter of invitation, hotel reservation, staying with a host);
  • the documents justifying sufficient means of subsistence for the duration and the purpose of the intended stay (cash, travellers' cheques, credit cards, declarations of sponsorship).

Entry to the territories of the Schengen States shall be refused:

  • if you are not in possession of a valid travel document;
  • if you have no valid visa;
  • if you cannot produce the documents justifying the purpose and conditions of your stay;
  • if you cannot produce the documents justifying that you have sufficient means of subsistence in relation to the duration and form of intended stay;
  • if you have already stayed three months during a six-month period on the territory of the Schengen States;
  • if you turn up at the external borders of one Schengen State, which is neither your single destination nor your principal or habitual destination, with a visa issued by another Schengen State, you will be liable to be refused entry and turned back to your country of residence (e.g. you arrive at Zaventem or Gosselies with a visa issued by the consulate in another Schengen State, when the purpose of your journey is to see family or visit Belgium as a tourist).


(1) Austria, Belgium, The Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

(2) The six-month period must be calculated from the date of the first entry.